If you could you use some help writing and editing the papers you submit to the court,
we have another set of eyes for your words.
Make your points effectively and concisely.
Don’t distract the judge with bad writing or nonconforming formatting.
For many years, Sherri Renner, JD, litigated in the federal courts, where solid writing skills are required. While in law school, Sherri earned the honors designation in Research and Writing, and spent two years as an associate member of the Stetson Law Review. She also is a published short story writer.
Sherri is now a member of ACES: The Society for Editing, and works as a freelance legal researcher, writer, and editor in addition to her work here at LawYou.
Writing services to nonlawyers are limited to providing pre-made templates and guides, which are available for basic pleadings, common motions, memos of law, and other briefs.
We cannot draft or ghostwrite your pleadings and motions for you for two really good reasons:
- Even if you provide the law and outline of the arguments, writing can too easily cross over into the unlicensed practice of law.
- The processes of researching the law and writing your own documents allow you to better understand your case as a whole, as well as the discrete issues within your case. Having someone else do those tasks for you will never earn you the thorough understanding of all aspects or your case that is necessary to successfully litigate it. This is true for lawyers, too, by the way.
Editing services include:
- Copy editing: checking your writing for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors, consistency (e.g., for tense, pronoun use, abbreviated references, etc.), as well as sentence structure and word choice for clarity and conciseness
- Proofreading: final review to check for typos and minor grammar and punctuation errors in a document that already has been copy-edited
- Formatting: placing your finished writings in their proper formats (e.g., fonts, page numbering, etc.) for submission to your court
Sherri works with these document formats: Microsoft Word, Corel WordPerfect, Google Docs, Apache OpenOffice, Adobe PDF
Costs and Contact
- Templates and Guides: For now, templates and guides are available only as part of our law coaching packages.
- Editing: As an a la carte service, the cost is $50 per hour, with a 30-minute minimum. This service also can be included in a customized coaching package.
Use this form to contact Sherri to discuss your editing needs,
or call her at (352) 519-1430.